Worldwide grants are awarded to fund a diverse range of nonprofit organizations and must be endorsed by an MDRT member.
Grants are only awarded to organizations or programs that are non-sectarian, responsibly managed, employ appropriate fiscal accounting procedures, and are classified as 501(c)(3) by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. For applicants outside of the United States, an appropriate document from your government will be accepted. These organizations may include:
- Volunteer emergency services, emergency food or shelter groups.
- Services for people with disabilities and mental health services (including alcohol and drug dependency programs).
- Programs for youth, senior citizens or at-risk groups, provided they are conducted on a not-for-profit basis.
- Unique and unusual charitable programs.
The MDRT Foundation does not provide funding for any of the following:
- Private charity, foundation or donor-advised fund.
- Organizations not exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and not eligible for tax-deductible support.
- Religious organizations or sectarian causes, unless the particular program will benefit a large portion of a community without regard to religious affiliation and does not duplicate the work of other agencies in the community.
- Political causes, candidates, organizations or campaigns.
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of age, color, citizenship, disability, disabled veteran status, gender, race, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, military service or status.
- Organizations whose primary purpose is to influence legislation.
- Endowments or capital campaigns.
- Film, music, TV, video and media production projects or broadcast program underwriting.
- Sports Athletic sponsorships.
- Fundraising events (such as dinners and walkathons).
- Performing arts tours.
- Fraternal groups or similar clubs.
- Colleges, universities or schools, unless the request is for a program or activity that benefits the public at-large or an at-risk group.
- Association memberships.
- General scholarship requests.
- Organizations whose primary role is re-granting funds.
Applicant (MDRT Member) Eligibility
Applicant must be an MDRT member in the year that the grant is awarded.
No charity or MDRT member/sponsor of a grant award is eligible to apply for consecutive-year funding for any grant program.
Applicant may only apply for, or endorse, one application per year for all grant programs, subject to eligibility.
Note: Submitting photographs and/or video constitutes permission for the MDRT Foundation to reproduce or reuse the materials for promotional or publicity purposes relative to any grants awarded.